Legal Question in Education Law in Florida

high school treatment of child

My question pertains to the following regarding my son:

In his own words incident that happened and now he has dropped out and will be taking a course at home through a private school to obtain his diploma.

Has to do with FCAT: Wrongfully accused of turning in test too soon and being given a void for the test. This was a practice test and he had already pass the FCAT previously. Now because of these teachers not being trained properly he was informed that in his senior year he would have to take a unnecessary science class. He was a 3.7GPA student. I need to know if there is anything I can do against the school and the people involved. There is more to the situation such as the room was not ready on time, over-crowded, brought in to take the exam late and everyone was marked absent to other classes because of this. He tried to go to the Vice Principle and he was not helpful. He went to his guidance couselor and he overheard this person laughing about the whole situation and not helping him out with the issue on hand. I tried calling the VP and as of today he has not returned my telephone call.

Asked on 4/24/05, 7:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Nies Van Riper and Nies Attorneys, P.A.

Re: high school treatment of child

Frustrating situation. My experience and advice would be to immediately write a professional, but firm letter to the school boardh, certified mail. Explain the actions of the Vice-Principal, Guidance Counselor, etc. in a professional manner. Detail the negative effect this will have on your Son's future and that if nothing is done immediately (within 2 days), you will have no other choice but to hire an attorney and possibly sue the school board. If you do not get a response, get a lawyer involved immediately. A lot of times it takes a lawyer being involved to get things done with the school board. Don't wait on this and please see a lawyer as soon as possible - again, in the meantime write that letter and don't forget to mail it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/05, 11:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in Florida