Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

contempt question

I recently got a notice in the mail about being in contempt for not paying child support. I paid off the balance completely but was then hit with $5000 in interest charges. I have to go to court for this tomorrow. Will I go to jail for this or will the judge work out a payment plan since I paid the entire balance off?

Asked on 8/13/07, 6:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: contempt question

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

Without knowing the full history of your payments or previous motions, it is impossible to say. Just inform the court of your principal payment and suggest when you can pay the balance. Hopefully, it will work out for you.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/07, 11:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida