Legal Question in Family Law in Florida


In the agreement, we should share the cost of college for the kids. I can't pay it. Not enough money. She has filed suit.

What can the judge do to me

Asked on 8/17/07, 5:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: divorce

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

The judge can force you to share in the cost of college since you agreed to it in your marriage settlement agreement. The agreement was probably incorporated into the final judgment of dissolution and therefore, if you do not pay you are in violation of the court order and can be held in contempt of court. Penalties can be financial or as severe as incarceration.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/07, 10:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida