Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My in-laws have legally adopted their 3 grandchildren and have asked my husband and I to sign paperwork stating that when they die we will take care of the children, get their land/house, and all of their belongings. They CLAIM the money they get for the children will be enough to cover the house payment and therefore we have nothing to worry about. We are newly married and recently bought a house and are just making it financially. I'm really worried that by signing paperwork we could get ourselves into a situation that would hurt us. Any advice on the laws, etc. concerning such situations?

Asked on 2/13/18, 7:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

Redirect this question to an Estate / Trust attorney, not general Family Law.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/18, 8:31 am
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

They need an attorney to explain how this works under the law. A will and testamentary trust would be needed. YOu on the other hand do not need to sign anything, if they do the correct estate planning.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/18, 8:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida