Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I received a notice of hearing from opposing counsel but the date/time was not collaborative (filed ex parte as I understand it). Also, the notice of hearing was filed only 8 days after the original motion and the date of hearing only provides 10 days advance notice. I was under the impression I have 20 days to respond to the motion, I am entitled to a minimum of 14 days advance notice prior to a hearing, and the scheduling of a hearing requires collaboration from both parties. How should I proceed? I contacted the JA regarding the ex parte filing but received an email response stating they cannot speak to me directly and I need to file the appropriate pro se motion for my complaint. I cannot find any pro se motions relating to this topic directly but I was thinking perhaps a pro se motion to strike notice of hearing for the above mentioned reasons. Please let me know how I should proceed. Thank you.

Asked on 7/30/15, 7:04 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

It is in your best interst to appear at this hearing with a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/15, 2:06 pm
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

Since you are not represented by an attorney,unless you know the rules and procedures , I suggest you attend the hearing. Responses are required 10 days after the notice has been issued. I suggest you read the Rules of Civil Procedures under Motions.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/15, 9:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida