Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Hi I just got served from my ex husband for a modification of child custody. I live in Miami, fl. I've had primary custody of my son since nearly newborn..My son is now 11 and doesn't want to go to his dads and his father believes i am the one telling him to stay therefore he petitioned for him to become the primary and i only see him everyother week end and on Wednesday's. I've had the same job for over 10 years, my son gets straight a's and b's in school, he has health insurance through my job, I have him enrolled in sports, and my schedule allows me to spend quality time to bond with him and support his sports drive. I am terrified that they can remove him from my home which is the only home he has know just because i don't have money for an attorney to represent me... What are my chances in court.

Thank you

Asked on 6/19/12, 7:10 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Kaufman The Law Office of Barry W. Kaufman

Your ex will have to prove that a change is in your son's best interest not his or yours. He has a difficult challenge. You should take this seriously. If you must, contact Legal Aid. The U of M law school may have a family law clinic. I urge you to not try to do this yourself.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/12, 7:32 pm

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Do not default. You cannot afford not to have an attorney. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/12, 4:37 am
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

My colleagues are absolutely correct. Please try to get an attorney - you can ask for attorney fees in your pleadings.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/12, 6:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida