Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My sisters lawyer tod her her divorce would cost approx. $5,000. 3 years later, she's still not divorced and has spent $50,000. This includes everything of value she owned and all the money are whole family could gather. Now, she's out of money and her lawyer wants to quit. What can we do? We asked for a payment plan and they refused. Please help! Her husband has vowed to leave her penniless and childless and is making my sister physically, emotionally and financially sick. Please help! We are desperate! She's a social worker and works very hard, but he's an attorney and claims he's broke. My sister wants it over, but husband keeps filing motions to delay in order to stay on her health insurance and "leave her penniless).

Asked on 7/12/15, 12:56 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

I don't care what he claims. Does the husband have money? Does he work for a firm? Does he pay taxes? Has he applied for credit cards, car loans, or any other financing in the recent year or two? If your sister knows where to look, or has a reasonable idea as where the money is, we should be able to find it. If your we cannot prove the husband's financial means, then she is probably S.O.L.. You might want to suggest that she retain another and more aggressive attorney. I would hope that after spending $50G your sister should have a good idea what the ex's financial situation is. His deposition should have been taken. I practice Family Law though out the Greater Tampa Bay Area.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/15, 1:14 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

You can either pay the attorney to finish the case or pay another attorney to finish the case.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/15, 1:44 pm
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

I suggest you tell the attorney you have to do the right thing or you will report him immediately to the Florida Bar for misrepresentation and a refund of your money for not complying with the Rules of Family Court. You have been taken for a ride.!!!! The Florida Bar can appoint an attorney to assist you while handling this investigation.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/15, 2:39 pm
Barry Kaufman The Law Office of Barry W. Kaufman

You can't do anything. Your sister is the one with the problem. Unfortunately, when he files a motion, your sister's lawyer has to respond and that costs money. The mere fact that your sister's lawyer husband intends on making her life a living hell does not automatically mean that her attorney has not represented her well, or that he's done anything wrong. Like someone else said, she can stick with present lawyer, or find someone else. I wish her the best of outcomes.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/15, 2:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida