Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

After revoking existing GC, what could be done to maintain legal status in US? Waht are the possible options to continue stay in US? Is there any grace period to apply for any other status like H1B?

Asked on 8/03/09, 3:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Larry L. Doan Law Office of Larry L. Doan

If your green card has been revoked, and you're still in the US, I would imagine you are going to be served with notice to go to court for removal (deportation) proceedings soon. You could try to get the green card again in front of the Immigration Judge if you have a family relative or employment petition and assuming you qualify for adjustment of status. You'd need an immigration defense lawyer to represent you in court since it's extremely complicated there.

As far as applying for an H-1B or a nonimmigrant (nonpermanent) visa like that, if you were out-of-status or illegal prior to obtaining the green card, you can't apply for those visas but must return home to do so. There's no such thing as a grace period.

Larry L. Doan (blog)

Read more
Answered on 8/03/09, 3:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida