Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

I am a British Citizen living in Florida on a work visa. I just married my girlfriend on Dec. 12, 2012. I have a son with my wife although I am not listed on the birth certificate. I plan to be listed as the father on the BC before I file taxes this year. Up until our marriage, my wife (then girlfriend) were receiving medicaid from the state of Florida. My question is "Can I claim my wife and/or son as dependents on my 2012 tax return?"

Asked on 12/28/12, 9:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

Yes, based on the information provided in your inquiry, so long as another person did not

provide sufficient support to the child to qualify as a child deduction for that person. Your

married status on 12/31/2012 determines your filing marital status for 2012.

Read more
Answered on 12/28/12, 10:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida