Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

I have a quick question I hope you could answer regarding the short sale of the house that I quit claimed to my ex in 2008: will I owe taxes on the difference in the short sale (loss) of the home. I live in FL now and that condo has not been primary residence, although it was my ex's primary. The divorce decree says my ex is responsible and that I am held harmless. If the IRS says I owe and sends a 1099, what can I do to protect myself? I am wondering if this would be viewed as a secondary residence being that I own a home in FL.

Asked on 9/25/12, 1:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

The terms of most short sales exclude any liability or responsibility for such

taxes. If your marital settlement agreement includes a hold harmless provision for

such liability, that is further assurance that you owe no taxes for the loss on the

mortgage, the forgiveness of debt, or other result of the short sale. The IRS will

not send you a 1099 regarding the matter unless it is reported as such by the

mortgage holder or party in the short sale. You should not pay it unless you

have signed documents, including the short sale, which commits you to pay

the debt.

Read more
Answered on 9/25/12, 2:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida