Legal Question in Disability Law in Georgia

i have worked for a hospital for 29.5 years. I had a dental procedure on a Thursday and while doing a

root canal on a tooth he accidentally drilled into my sinuses. The denitist admitted what he done and he told me to take a loracet plus and a valium 5mg po after the feeling came back in. I did what he told me to do and I took the medication around 1800pm. I got up at 0400am and got ready for work. I was at work around 0630 pm . I got very sleepy and a co worker went and got the director over our unit and she in turn got the don and the lady over human resources.All this happened around 1300pm. I had one patient which I did all my work on but I admitted to the director that I was sleepy. I was taken to the directors office and they put me on administrative leave. I had to do a urine drug screen which I told them all what I had taken the night before. I was put on leave for approx 2 weeks. I was ordered to go to my physician to get an exam before I could return to work. He wrote them a letter and he also told them I was not a drug seeker. I then

went to my dentist and he also wrote a letter telling them what happened and why he gave me the meds. I went back for the meeting and I was put on 6 months probation.My position was taken from me and now I have to do urine drug screens weekly and bi weekly. I am now termed a druggie and this is not true. I feel like I am receiving harsh punishment. They made all of my co-workers write up things about me. They made comments about my diabetes and how I looked.

I feel like I have received unfair treatment and I feel like I am being harrassed. I had a prescription for what I took.I only take medication that has been prescribed for me by my doctor. Rarely ever do I take a Loracet or a Valium. I am to the point of I don;t know what to do. Please help me.

by the way they changed policies while I was out to cover what they did to me.i was threatened

that I would be fired.

Asked on 2/19/10, 9:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Fidlon Law Offices of Gregory R. Fidlon, P.C.

Your rights under the Family Medical Leave Act may have been violated. You should consult with an attorney, such as myself, specializing in labor and employment law in Georgia. If you are interested, I would be happy to offer you a free consultation by phone. You may contact me using my profile information below.

LEGAL NOTICE: This forum is designed to provide general information only. The information provided does not constitute legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established. You waive any right to confidentiality by posting information on this site. Communications on this site do not and cannot substitute for a full consultation with an attorney practicing in your jurisdiction, and you are encouraged to consult with such an attorney for guidance regarding your individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it may not be accurate or applicable to you.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/10, 7:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Georgia