Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Im 18 with a 10 month old whos father is not on the birth certificate. He never wanted anything to do with her til I got a new boyfriend when she was 6 months. He harrases me. I have text messages saved from him saying he doesnt know what to do with my daughter alone. He met a man on craigslist went smoked methampethamine with him and had sex with him. I dont want my daughter around that. He uses her as a tie to me. What can I do to make him never be able to have rights to her. Please she is a sweet girl i dont want her to end up with issues from my bad choices

Asked on 10/17/10, 3:53 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

There are 3 ways a male can obtain parental rights to a child in Georgia:

1.) If the male is legally married to the biological mother at the time of birth;

2.) If the biological father goes through a court process wherein the father becomes "legitimized".

3.) If the father adopts the child.

The fact that the biological father signs or doesn't sign the birth certificate has NO bearing on the father's parental rights. As it stands right now, it sounds like the father has no parental rights to the child -- you are therefore under NO OBLIGATION to allow the father any visitation rights to the child. In fact, you could be in trouble is you allow the father visitation with your daughter if he is engaging in these activities.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 10/22/10, 4:49 pm

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

He has no rights unless he legitimizes the child. So you can ignore him.

Read more
Answered on 10/22/10, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia