Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I have a case open with dfacs for my children. If I sign my rights over to someone else, Will the case be closed? Can I then reapply for custody without dfacs being notified? What happens if I end up living with the person I signed my rights over to.

Asked on 2/02/16, 6:38 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Children are not personal property, like a lawn mower or old car, that you sign over to someone else. The children have rights. You have responsibilities.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/16, 6:45 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Not only will those things not work, but when you attempt them (no they do not work) you risk losing your children. Cleaning up your act and being a responsible parent, and working with your lawyer (get one) are the road to getting past today's situation.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/16, 7:16 pm

Signing over your rights means you lose them, period

Be a parent first, don't be the child

Read more
Answered on 2/02/16, 7:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia