Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

We have complete full legal custody of children, and no where in the court papers does it state we have to allow the biological parents any contact with the children. While their rights have NOT been terminated, there are no court orders in place for visits, updates, or any contact. The court said after contacting them about this that it was at our sole discretion whether or not to allow any of the above. The actions of the biological mother (proven, witnessed, and in writing), we have deemed it is safer for the children if there is no contact. Despite asking her numerous times to stop contacting us and letting her know we are considering pressing charges for harassment, she continues on. Are we within our legal rights to press charges, and if so, what do we need to do to get this started? Her actions include: Moving to strike one of the children during a visit, cursing at the same said child, harassment through emails, postings on FB that what she'd like to do to our family would land her in jail, her sister posting things along the same lines (screen shots have been taken and printed), our home mysteriously being broken into and only the childrens items destroyed, calling all hours of the night, and numerous other behaviors. We truly believe she is not only an emotional danger to the children, but a physical one as well. She was told of the courts decision, she was informed of our request for no contact in writing twice and verbally once. Each email, even ones strictly saying "please do not contact us again" she responds to including all previous emails in the body. So she's well aware we wish for no contact.

Asked on 7/31/13, 10:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

Something as serious as this needs to be discussed with an attorney. You may need a protective order if threats are being made. I would also give neighbors a heads up to be on the look out and call the police if anyone is seen around your house. If the children are in school, make certain the school has a copy of the order with instructions of who can and cannot check the children out of school or visit the children.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/13, 3:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia