Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

how do I domesticate a NY order to a GA

Asked on 5/07/18, 8:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

The steps to domesticate an order won't fit in the small space attorneys have here to answer. But this question matters: Why are you wanting to do this and what do you want to domesticate? (asked because it may not be necessary, appropriate or a good idea).

General note, and you would best be served by getting counsel, although you need to read all the following acts: Georgia has adopted the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgment Act (O.C.G.A. § 9-12-130 et. seq.), the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (O.C.G.A. § 19-11-100 et. seq.), and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (O.C.G.A. § 19-9-40 et. seq.). These laws may affect your foreign judgment.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/18, 9:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia