Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

my father's will

My stepmother has not probated my father's will, and he has been gone for over 2 years now. She has already sold or given away everything he had, except his share of a cabin that he owned along with his brothers and sisters. Now, the family is wanting to have me and my siblings sign something that gives up all our rights to anything so the will can be probated. My father had over $20,000 in unpaid child support, and we were offered nothing at all when he passed away. Also, when I requested a copy of the will, they sent me a copy of a supposed will that was not notarized, and it had a very obviously forged signature on it that was supposed to be my fathers. I have a document with his actual signature on it, and trust me, it looks nothing like what they had on the will. I don't have a lot of money for a lawyer to fight this, but I feel like we are being done very wrong. Do we have a case, and how can I go about dealing with this situation? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Asked on 5/17/07, 8:38 am

3 Answers from Attorneys


Re: my father's will

You and your siblings might be able to employ an attorney, if you pool your funds. An attorney is your best option based on the situation that you describe.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/07, 9:03 am
Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: my father's will

The person holding the will can be forced to present it for probate. However, you probably don't want to take this on by yourself. Consult with a local attorney.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/07, 9:06 am
Robert Thompson J. Robert Thompson Attorney

Re: my father's will

Consult an attorney before you sign anything.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/07, 9:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia