Legal Question in Business Law in Hawaii

I own rental properties and would like to form a sole proprietor rental property bussiness. Do I need to change the deeds to the name of this new bussiness or is it sufficinent to use my name with a DBA. I really dont want to remove my name from the deeds to the property.

Asked on 7/27/11, 6:51 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jon Zahaby Tour bus, scenic and sightseeing, operation

The best thing for you to do if you want to title the properties in the name of a business and avoid direct ownership liability is to form an LLC and convey title to that entity. Aloha, Jon A. Zahaby, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/11, 3:53 pm
Kevin B. Murphy Franchise Foundations, APC

As a Franchise Attorney I only add the following. I understand you don't want to title the deeds in the business name. That's not required. In your leases you will want to refer the "landlord" as the titled owner however. Consult with a good business or franchise attorney in your area for specific advice on this issue.

Mr. Franchise - Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.

Franchise Foundations, a Professional Corporation

Read more
Answered on 7/28/11, 6:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Hawaii