Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Illinois

All night flood lights

We own a home adjacent to a restaurant, in a mainly residential neighborhood. They have recently installed large flood lights that shine directly into our home all night long. They installed these lights without proper city permit and without a 'lighting plan'. Our neighborhood was, until this time, dark at nightthey had a sign, some reasonable lights that didn't bother anyone previous to the floods. Now it is lit up like a circus.Our Code Enforcer is not seemingly very interested in enforcing our city code which states that any lights from a business may NOT shine and glare directly onto residential property. HAve I any recourse in this? IT has certainly affected our enjoyment of our property, as well as impacting it's valuewho wants to live in a house perpetually lit, after all. Thanks for any insight!

Asked on 11/06/03, 7:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth J. Ashman Ashman Law Offices, LLC

Re: All night flood lights

Yes, besides potential enforcement of the city code, you have a potential claim for nuisance.

-- Kenneth J. Ashman;; [email protected]

The information provided by Ashman Law Offices, LLC (“ALO”) is for general educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. ALO is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and ALO have signed a written retention agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain ALO on terms acceptable to ALO, you should immediately seek the services of another attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 8:49 am

Robert Harlib Robert S. Harlib, Attorney At Law

Re: All night flood lights

You can seek legal recourse through a number of alternatives such as an injunction forcing the restaurant to stop acting in a way detrimentaL to your property, as well as a nuisance suit for damages. Feel free to call my office to discuss this.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 9:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Illinois