Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My ex wife and I were married a little over a year when I found out she was having an affair. After I found out, she came clean and admitted to everything. I filed for divorce because she loved him and wanted to be with him. At the time, we had a 3 month old baby. My lawyer said to file under irreconcilable differences rather than adultery to make it easier even though she admitted to it all. When it was all said and done, I was ordered to pay $750/month after tax in child support even though we each got 50/50 custody. I make $64,000/year and she makes $32,000. Since we each have equal custody why do I have to pay so much? And would it have made any difference if I filed for divorce due to adultery?

Asked on 6/15/10, 7:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

Grounds would not effect child support. And you are paying child support because you make twice as much as she does.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/10, 4:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois