Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

wrong person

I have an insurance company calling me telling me that I have been in an accident and need to pay an amount to cover their insureds damages. I have not been in any accident nor has anyone driven my car. What do I do? Can they sue me or garnish wages.

Asked on 1/18/09, 11:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Re: wrong person

Yes, they can sue you. However, they can only garnish wages if they win, so if you prove it was not you, you do not have to worry. I suggest that you contact your car insurer so that you do nto waive any rights to coverage.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/09, 2:07 pm

Shell Bleiweiss Law Offices of Shell J. Bleiweiss

Re: wrong person

They cannot garnish your wages without first suing and obtaining a judgment against you. Anyone can sue you if they want, even if they won't win. I would suggest that either you or your attorney communicate with them about having the wrong party now, before a lawsuit.

Shell Bleiweiss

Read more
Answered on 1/18/09, 12:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois