Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Illinois

I asked a question yesterday about the doctor refusing to treat my niece. I forgot to also ask about medical records. I requested her medical records and test results. They are refusing to give me her test results because they said I won't know how to read them. They said when I find a new doctor he/she can request them. I don't want to wait. I want the records because I want to go into the doctors office with the records. Plus I paid for the test to be performed not to mention they are my nieces results.. can they do this? Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Asked on 7/24/14, 7:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Under the law your niece or her parent (if she is a minor) is entitled to get a copy of her medical records including all charts, tests, films etc... The doctor can charge a fee to get the material copied however, they have 30 days to provide a copy of the records-and you don't have to explain why you need the records. Make an official request by completing the record copy request form, pay the fee and get the records. You may tell them if they don't give you the record, that you will then complain with the department of professional regulation and have them get the record. They will give the records ASAP.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 7/24/14, 6:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Illinois