Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

I had laproscopic ventral hernia surgery with mesh on July 6, 2012. Immediately after the surgery I was in severe pain and remember thinking that something wasn't right. I have friends that have had the surgery in the past and had no problems with it. But, my stomach was really swollen (I looked like I was 5 months pregnant) and it was badly bruised. At my one week follow up I explained that I still could not do anything by myself. I was not able to sit up on my own (without help) until about the 3rd week. Before the surgery I was told I would be back to work in 4-6weeks. After about 8 weeks I went back to my surgeon and explained to him that I still have severe pain off and on (enough to take Norco) and I still could not pick up my 1 yr old son who weighs 28lbs. He decided to order a CT Scan to find out if something was wrong (September 12, 2012). On September 19, 2012 I was called into my surgeons office to find out that the mesh that he put in me had fallen apart, and he suggested a second surgery to take the old mesh out and replace it. I underwent a second surgery on September 25, 2012 and there is a huge difference in my recovery. It has been five days and I am walking with no assistance, my stomach is not as swollen, and there is no bruising. It is also considerably less painful. I am wondering if there was a problem with the mesh that was put in initially for it to cause so much pain and fall apart. Do I have a legitimate law suit with the manufacturer? During the second surgery I had my surgeon take a picture of the torn mesh that had fallen apart, before he took it out and replaced it. I also have a CD with pictures of the images from the CT Scan.

Asked on 9/30/12, 3:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Rosenblat Michael C. Rosenblat., P.C.

Possibly, what type of mesh was used?

Read more
Answered on 10/01/12, 8:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois