Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

I have a large number of shares in a certain company that I wish to leave to a friend. My attorney tells me that I can't do that, that I must leave all of it to a charitable organization. I'm in Illinois. Is this true?

Asked on 5/07/21, 12:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

You may be misunderstanding your attorney’s advice. It may be worth sitting down with her or him to get clarification. Otherwise, you may wish to get a second opinion. More likely than not, the attorney is not saying that you cannot leave the shares to another party, but that it would be a poor choice as part of your estate plan.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/21, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois