Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Indiana

Debt collection from 1999

My boyfriend has a judgment against him from 1999 that they are just now trying to get him to pay. It was originally for $310.00 but is now over $500 with interest. It is from a rental agreement with a landlord that never returned his deposit for $310.00, but is now trying to get him to pay his last months' rent of the same amount. It never went in front of a judge, and it looks like a couple of things have been changed on it, including the date. My boyfriend is dyslexic, and thought he was just signing a paper saying he had appeared in court, when it was actually a judgment. We are now trying to fight the validity of it. Do you have any advice for us?

Asked on 8/21/07, 6:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Debt collection from 1999

Sorry to say, you don't have an effective legal remedy because the judgment occurred so long ago. Try the human remedy, explain the facts to someone, with documentation (if you have it), but if you get no satisfaction, then pay the judgment as soon as you can. It is possible, likely even, that the damage deposit was insufficient to cover the landlord's expenses, so there was nothing left over to cover the last month's rent, which you boyfriend should have paid no matter what. So, the judgment would be not only valid, but also just. Pay it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/07, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Indiana