Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

I need to know what i can do about my child support. I honestly cant afford it with all my bills i HAVE to pay. My ex is threating to put me in jail cause i havent been able to pay but 40 dollars.

Asked on 11/23/09, 10:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

All you can do is pay what is owed and ask the court to modify the order for support so that you are not required to pay as much. You should make every effort to find a better job, a job if you dont have one, and a second job if you do and be ready to document those efforts. Additionally, you need to make sure that you have properly prioritized what bills you pay. Other than your rent, food, and utilities and possibly insurance, the courts generally look at all other bills as discretionary and child support as a priority.

You should also see a credit counselor for some assistance in prioritizing your bills.

Read more
Answered on 11/29/09, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana