Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

I live in Indiana, the ex girlfriend gets mail at my house is there something else I can do other that filing eviction, she has never paid a bill in 2 years, and has been out for @ 2 months. She still has stuff in the house, came while I was at work, took everything she wanted and now wants the rest of her stuff which is fine, but she has threatened me with calling the police and bringing her new boyfriend to get her stuff.

As the homeowner I have the right to refuse a stranger the right to enter my home to help her correct?? Also, if Law enforcement does show up (I may be the one that calls) Do II have to grant them entry without a warrant? I don 't want either in my home, I just want to help her get her stuff to the door and get it over with.

Asked on 4/20/19, 2:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

You can start by sending your ex a letter, to be delivered in person and by certified mail, stating that you’ll dispose of her property in 30 days if not claimed. It’s best to have a lawyer do that for you. You do not have to let any strangers in your house. Police can come onto your premises for certain reasons but they can’t remove anything nor can they force you to allow anyone else to come in.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/19, 10:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana