Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

hitting a child who is not yours

my son was at his basketball practice the other day and a man came up to him and slapped him (not real hard, but enough) on the cheek/mouth area. My son said during the practice prior to his a kid was talking trash and my son told him to shut up. he then began talking about and making fun of my son who slapped him. end of situation. this man went up to my son and slapped him saying he needed to quit being a bully and that it didn't feel good to be slapped (as he slapped my son) did it? I told this man to never lay a hand on my son again, but he wanted to argue about why he was justified in doing so. I walked away repeating that I had better never see him touch my son again. the child my son got into it with was not this man's son and there was no interaction between he or my son until this man came up and slapped my son. I had walked into the gym with my son (passing this gentleman) and my son brought his coat to me . I was sitting one bleacher section over sep. by a stair/walkway. should I have or should I do more than what I did?

Asked on 1/30/07, 11:11 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: hitting a child who is not yours

You did all that was reasonable in the situation, as the outlaw gentleman was not susceptible to reason. The adult who slapped your son could probably be charged with assault or child abuse, if you want to call the cops about it.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/07, 11:35 am
Samuel Hasler Samuel Hasler

Re: hitting a child who is not yours

Do not do anything directly. The man hit your child. That is battery. Battery is a civil and a criminal matter. I doubt that it is worth filing suit against him as it does not sound like your child suffered any lasting injury.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/07, 5:22 pm
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Re: hitting a child who is not yours

Plain and simple, go to the local police department or prosecutor and press charges.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/07, 6:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana