Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

Responsibility of our police dept. & offices holders

My son was killed in a head-on wreck. The man crossed the center line & killed him.The state tropper said He was going to get him a ticket but change his mind. The procescuter declined to file charges. The man was a diabetic. I thought they protect the victims not the guilty. Besides a wrongful death suit because he failed to take his medication or check his sugar levelthat day. What is our legal rights?

Asked on 1/18/01, 9:55 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cortson Law Office of Michael D. Cortson, Esq.

Re: Responsibility of our police dept. & offices holders


I need a lot more information on this matter. Please call me at 219-340-3890. I have dealt with several matters such as this, but I really need to know a lot of details.

Michael Cortson

Read more
Answered on 2/13/01, 5:12 pm
Brian Halloran Brooking and Halloran, PLLC

Re: Responsibility of our police dept. & offices holders

You can sue the man for wrongful death, loss of consortium, etc in a civil suit. If the prosecutor won't take charges, you might want to contact the local TV news and see if they are interested in the story. This might put pressure on the prosecutor to file charges. A good attorney might also be able to meet with the prosecutor and get an agreement to file charges. My brother died in a similar accident, and my condolences go out to you on your loss. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. My office # is 859-491-5800.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/01, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana