Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

My husband sold a riding lawn mower to his uncle as is 18 months ago. After 1 week the uncle brought it back and said he didn't like it and wanted his money back. We said no, we would not return his money and he left the mower with us. Now after all this time he wants his mower. I'm say no way! It's been 18 months and he knew when he left it he was not getting his money back. Can I charge him a storage fee or claim he abandoned his property on mine? Somehow I don't think he should get it.

Asked on 4/14/10, 6:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Yes, you can claim that he abandoned the property, if you really think that is a wise thing to do. You can't charge him anything for storage without giving him prior notice that you are doing so.

Read more
Answered on 4/19/10, 7:35 am
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

You are just asking for a lawsuit. If he paid in full for the lawn mower, give it to him.

Read more
Answered on 4/19/10, 8:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana