Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

I've been living in my current home for 19 years now. A year after I first moved in I decided to plant a long row of trees on the border between my and my neighbors property. However, recently some new people moved in next door. After they moved in, a new survey of the land was done by the county and it put my trees well within their property. Even though I still have the original survey which shows the trees on the border they are threatening to cut them down. They have even trimmed the trees to a very short length without my consent.

I am currently retired and can't afford a legal battle. However, if there was some kind of firm paperwork showing that they were clearly in the wrong and did not have the authority to tamper with the trees then I believe it would make them back down.

Please help, I do not want to loose something I put so many years of hard work into keeping alive.


Matthew Northrup

Asked on 8/03/09, 12:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Absent an agreement between you and the neigbor, you would have to file suit for adverse possession.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/09, 12:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana