Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

We are doing a rent to own with the city that we live in for a house and we set up a 200 dollar a month agreement for every 1st of the month with 2000 down and we have paid so far 4000 into the house.Now we were late on the payments but we always caught ourselves up and now they want to have a meeting on Monday with my dad because of inconsistency on the payments.If they were to try to kick us out would we have a legal leg to stand on since we didn't sign anything like a contract that payments were to be due on the 1st instead of a verbal agreement?

Asked on 1/21/12, 12:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

There are several issues on the table here, including whether the contract is written or oral, the timing of the payments, the effect of the city accepting late payments, and the equity that you have accumulated in the house. In order to have yourself properly informed and represented, you should consult with an attorney and have him/her negotiate with the city on your behalf. The result, and any future agreements, should be finalized in writing.

Read more
Answered on 1/22/12, 5:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana