Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Iowa

i had a roommate who wanted to be off the lease. i told him that me and the other roommate will sign him off if he helps out with next months rent, since the other roommate lost his job and he only gave us a weeks notice. he had agreed at the time. i also told him he could move all his stuff out early as long as he still helps with the rent. on the day we needed the rent he refused and said he did not fully understand it and was not going to help, his part at the time was 320. my other roommate and i tried to pay it but was still short, so i contacted the other roomamte to pay 150, which seemed fair since at first it was 320. he dropped off the money at the apartment and i had though that was that, we had planned to sign him out the next day. then we came back and took back the money. me and my roommate will barely make it. i was wondering if i could sue the other roomate for the money he failed to pay as he is still on the lease. the money is 320 and also if i could make him pay for the legal fees as ive given him options that he has refused.

Asked on 5/03/13, 6:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

Of course you can sue someone but it's not cost free and you have to wonder whether it's worth it for a few hundred dollars.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/13, 8:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Iowa