Legal Question in Business Law in Kansas

What can I do to stop being financially abused by my parent? I am 27 years old, and I work for (and live with) my step-dad. Eight years ago, my step-dad offered to pay for my college tuition/expenses in exchange for me working for him (he was not giving me paychecks). He also covered all of my other expenses (phone, car, food, etc.). I graduated from college in December of 2014, and I only received my first paycheck from him in October of 2015. Unfortunately, I was not required to keep track of my hours worked, so I have no idea how much I may have been owed in back pay. I have a joint bank account with my parents (where all my paychecks are being deposited), and recently, my step-dad transferred $4,000 (of my wages) out of the account without consulting me. With my next check I plan to open a separate checking account and transfer the balance into it, but do I have a case? Is there any chance of getting that money back? I need to get out of this situation, but it is extremely difficult when my source of income and the person covering my expenses is the same. Please help.

Asked on 1/27/16, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you have no idea how many hours you worked, it may be difficult to quantify your loss. But, you should consult directly with an employment attorney in your area. Take what documents that you have, and a written estimate of what you worked. Once you open that other account, and transfer the funds, you will have your parents'attention. You will probably have to find a new job too. So, you may want to hold off making your move until after you have met with that attorney.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/02/16, 3:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Kansas