Legal Question in Consumer Law in Kansas

I paid over $9,000 for a vehicle in Kansas and when I went to title it the DMV told me that a more recent version of the title was in the system than the one I had. I contacted the dealership and told him this, and he said he would have to contact the auction he bought the vehicle from. Two weeks has passed and I still have no valid title. I bought this vehicle over 60 days ago. He said he decided to run a Auto check on the VIN and he said a duplicate title was made the month before I purchased the vehicle from him. Which to me would mean whoever sold this vehicle to the auction has the valid title, making the sale from the auction to the dealer illegal and the subsequent sale to me illegal as well. I told him if it was not resolved this week I would be returning the vehicle and would need my money back. The dealer is telling me he can't do that and that I just need to wait to hear what the auction has to say. I told him that I don't even technically own this vehicle and he said a bill of sale is all I need to show ownership. Is that true? What can I legally do to protect myself in this situation?

Asked on 5/09/16, 10:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If it has been 60 days since the sale, and the sender hasn't pricier good title, you can rescind the deal. If the dealer is unwilling, you may need to hire an attorney to represent you.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/09/16, 4:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Kansas