Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

A judgment was made against me to garnish my SSI benefits for past child support...400.00 of my 600.00 plus is being with held..I can't pay my bills now..can they do this?

Asked on 6/20/16, 7:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Generally, federal retirement or disability benefits are not subject to execution. If those funds are miungled with other funds, or in some cases, for the care of a child, there are exceptions.

This may be happeing because you did not take adequate steps for the care of the child. Did you apply for the child to get benefits due to them having a disabled parent? You did not indicate for his long you have been disabled. You may be able to get the past due support amount reduced.

You should consult directly with a family law attorney in your area.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/22/16, 8:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas