Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Being Kicked Out

I moved here from Florida in June 1999 to join my fiancee. I moved into the house that he had leased for us with my two girls. We have lived together since, now we are having a few problems, he says that it is over between us and that I have to move out since his name is on the lease. He refuses to pay my way back to Florida, although his company paid for our move here. He also refuses to pay me back the deposit I put on the house until everything I own is out of the house. Do I have any legal rights? I moved here under the impression that we were to be married, and have a future together. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Asked on 4/18/00, 10:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

Re: Being Kicked Out

Unless he agreed to the things you are asking for you do not have any options. Your move was apparently voluntary and without any promises. You might try to sue for breach of promise, but it does not look like he made you any promises. You took a big chance and lost.

Next time - if there is a next time - don't drag your children half way across the US on the whim that some guy might ask you to marry him. Get a ring and a wedding date, and move in after the wedding, then you will have a much better idea of the kind of man he is. Try listening to Dr. Laura on the radio. You won't like it, but it will help you take better care of your kids.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/00, 11:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas