Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

I live with my mother ill be 19 this year I signed a lease with her but we do not get along I hate going home everyday I want to move out and get my own place I have the money to take care of myself and to get a apt but am I able to move into my own pace if I'm on her lease can I just pay half the rent and still be able to get my own place

Asked on 6/17/13, 6:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you're on the lease, you remain liable to the landlord for the rent. If you pay your half of the rent, and your mother doesn't, the landlord may be able to sue you for her half. You could sue your mother for her half. But, that might not be desirable, from a personal standpoint. Perhaps, if you tell your mother that you have consulted an attorney and that you're contemplating surrendering the place to the landlord, she will make more of an effort to get along with you.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/13, 4:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas