Legal Question in Disability Law in Kentucky

Handicapped daughter raped by stepfather

I found out that my now ex-husband was sexually abusing my daughter when I was at work. I didn't find out till several months had passed when he gave her an STD called ''Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). He gave her the one that caused cancer. I have tried to get legal counsel for her here in Kentucky, but since she is handicapped, no one will touch the case. I even contacted the attorney generals office and they just referred me to someone else. Then they referred me to someone else, and so on. I have gotten the biggest run around with this. I blame the social services dept as they never reported it to the authorities like they were supposed to. The gal just closed the case as my ex-husband convinced her it happened in another state and she didn't know how to handle the case. She didn't even report it to the other state that he says it happened in for investigation. Then the authorities didn't even really follow up on it when they were told about it. So he continues to walk around with a big smile on his face knowing he has gotten away with it. He keeps dating other women that have handicapped girls as well. What can I do? Not only for my daughter's sake, but for all the other handicapped people as well. Please help us!!!

Asked on 2/10/07, 1:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Martin Kasdan, Jr. Martin Z. Kasdan, Jr., Attorney at Law

Re: Handicapped daughter raped by stepfather

I would suggest contacting the Dept of Protection and Advocacy in Frankfort. Unfortunately, I am sending this message from home, and cannot provide you with the contact information. You should be able to google "protection and advocacy" + Kentucky for contact info and followup.

I am sorry to hear of this situation and hope that P&A can help you and your daughter.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/07, 4:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Kentucky