Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

Credit card debt

I saw my name in the newspaper several years ago. Discover Card Bank versus Steve ???? I never was summoned to court. How do I find out what happened? Do I have a judgement against me now? If so what can I do about it.

Asked on 6/09/09, 9:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mary Cartwright Smith & Cartwright, LLC

Re: Credit card debt

You can go to the courthouse and ask the court clerk to help you look up civil cases where you are named as the defendant. Lawyers have access to this info on a program called Courtnet, but often cases do not appear on Courtnet after they are closed, so the only way to be sure is to go to the courthouse and ask. Sometimes they have computer terminals where you can look it up, like at the library.

Sometimes debt collectors file lawsuits and then wait many months before service. The advantage for them to do this is that interest continues to accumulate.

If you have filed for bankruptcy since the lawsuit was filed, the debt is discharged unless there are unusual circumstances.

If there is an open case, you have not been served yet, and you have not filed for bankruptcy, you should consult a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/09, 7:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky