Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

Medical Bills

Can hospitals and doctors send you to a collection agency even if you are trying to pay their bills. They want you to set up a contract but you can't pay what they want you to pay. They won't take what you can pay. What can I do?

Asked on 2/17/09, 8:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas McAdam Thomas A. McAdam, III, Attorney

Re: Medical Bills

It is not possible to give you a clear legal answer to your inquiry without a more detailed evaluation of the facts of your case. Several questions are presented:

1. Was all or part of your medical bills covered by insurance or medicare?

2. Are you eligible for any state medical aid, such as Passport?

3. Did you sign an agreement with the hospitals or doctors to pay a specific amount at a specific time?

4. Are you presently employed and subject to wage garnishment?

5. Have you ever filed bankruptcy?

You are obviously in need of some expert debt counseling. Your local Better Business Bureau or United Way organizations may have free debt counseling programs available for you.

Additionally, you might want to have your financial and debt situation reviewed by an attorney with expertise in the area of bankruptcy.

You are best advised to seek the services of a competent Kentucky attorney. You can telephone your local bar association for a referral, or can find a good lawyer on-line at the Kentucky Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service:

Good luck!

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/17/09, 1:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky