Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

I owe credit card debt, it has been sent to a collection agency. All I can pay is $100.00 a month and they will only accept $150.00 a month. What can I do?

Asked on 8/19/10, 1:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

If it were me, I would just play hardball with them. Call their bluff. Tell them, "Fine, you don't want the $100 a month? How about $0? I'll just file bankruptcy and that's exactly what you'll get." (But make it sound realistic, not just an idle threat.)

And perhaps bankruptcy really is an option for you. If you haven't been able to pay your credit card in so long that it has been sent to collections, you should at least consider it. If your debt can be discharged, then you have the opportunity to start clean and begin to rebuild. Many attorneys offer free consultations. You will want to contact one in your area who does work in bankruptcy court.

If not, then carefully review your statements for any errors, and see if there is any wiggle room to dispute any of the debt. Also, if they engage in any harassment, you can make a claim against them for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/10, 7:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky