Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

A friend of mine is going through a messy divorce. One night when he and his wife were arguing, he went to leave and she kept blocking the door. He kept telling her to move but she wouldn't. So he pushed her to the side and then left. There was a DVO issued and he was not allowed within 500 feet of her. Last week, he was off work one day and he needed a few things from a house that she is not residing in. She resides in an apartment. The DVO was issued and did not include this house. She was not there at the time when he went in to get his things. She contacted the police and had him arrested for violating a DVO and burglary. His bond was set $50,000 . His father hired him a lawyer but he has yet to show up at the jail to talk to my friend and it has been 3 days. Can my friend hire another lawyer or will the current lawyer be the representation of record? We are getting very frustrated with all of this since we think that he did nothing wrong.

Asked on 11/15/12, 5:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

Yes he can and probably should get a new attorney if he is not satisfied with his current attorney. If there are no current orders prohibiting him from being in the house and he owns the house with him jointly then he could not have violated the dvo or burglarized his own home.

Read more
Answered on 11/15/12, 5:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky