Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

Paying Back Child Support

My son has a 2 yr old daughter. Paternity has just been established because he is in the Navy stationed in Guam. My son has bought diapers, clothes, etc for his daughter. The mother of the child has said she doesn't want child support, but my son has paid her cell phone, electric bill, and the things for his daughter. We have kept receipts and now we are wondering if she can get back child support?

Asked on 2/01/08, 7:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Napier Troutman & Napier, PLLC

Re: Paying Back Child Support

Child support is not retroactive prior to the date when a motion to establish child support is filed. However, it is smart to keep receipts.

What would be even smarter, would be to figure up roughly what he would pay and put close to that (minus purchases) in an custodial account for the child or a separate savings/investment account.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/08, 11:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky