Legal Question in Immigration Law in Kentucky

my fiance got stopped by the cops for speeding. he had court today and didnt show up because he was scared of getting deported. i know it was wrong and they will come to get him but i was wondering if there is anyway i can stop them from maybe deporting him. im a us resident. PLEASE HELP :(

Asked on 7/11/11, 11:53 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Well, that was pretty dumb. ICE doesn't care about his speeding ticket. Why didn't he just pay it before the court date? He should call the county attorney and find out if it's too late to pay it, and if there's a bench warrant for his arrest if it can be rescinded upon payment.

Seriously, there is not some magic network that PoDunk PD is hooked up with ICE and knows automatically your immigration status. Even most misdemeanors fly under the radar. This isn't Arizona. But doing dumb stuff like not showing up to court will get him flagged.

You clearly both need to go see an immigration attorney together before you get married so you get the process right. If he gets deported, you marrying him will not get him an automatic green card.

Read more
Answered on 8/04/11, 6:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Kentucky