Legal Question in Tax Law in Kentucky

How can I keep my ex from claiming one of my children on taxes? We're still legally married but have been seperated for 5 years. He lives in another town. He rarely sees our children, he doesn't pay child support, and he offers no financial assistance yet every year he claims one of our children. My tax preparer told me that there's not much I can do about it except try to file my taxes before he does. I can never seem to do that and am getting a little tired of losing out on so much of my return every year. Any advise on what step should be my next?

Asked on 11/02/11, 12:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Sounds like you need to finalize the divorce and get that put into the divorce decree. Then if he claims them in a year he isn't supposed to, he'll be in contempt of a court order.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/11, 8:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Kentucky