Legal Question in Traffic Law in Kentucky

Driving on Suspended Liscence

I was recently pulled over for driving on a suspended liscence as a result of an unpaid traffic violation. After reviewing the facts below, I need to know if I should hire an attorney.

I am liscenced in Kentucky and am a professional golfer. My job requires weekly travel all across the country. I live in Florida during the winter.

I recieved a ticket for speeding in Florida on 1-30-08. I paid fine indicated on ticket ($83.50) on March 5. Payment was due Mar. 2. I thought I settled my ticket. I no longer lived at my Florida address and was touring the country playing in tournaments. I went to change the address on my liscence to find it was suspended. I called Florida and they said I owed an additional $5 on the ticket. It was suspended on turned into collections. I immediately overnighted payment to Florida. I went to Q-School in Fla. and on my way back to Ky, I was pulled over in Tennessee. My liscence was still suspended. I went back to Ky received proof of payment from Florida, and reinstated my liscence. I go to court in TN in January. I have everything documented.

Do I have a case? Should I hire an attorney? What should I do?

Asked on 12/02/08, 4:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

Re: Driving on Suspended Liscence

I would make sure your license has been reinstated in Kentucky- you have paid the reinstatement fee, etc. and that you owe no reinstatement fees in florida. I would consider hiring an attorney simply to avoid having to travel to and "hang out" in court (especially given the unpredictabel nature of the weather this time of year), unless this is not an issue for you. I would suspect a lawyer could get the charges dismissed or reduced to a lessor charge.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/08, 8:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Kentucky