Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

He backed out of signing a quitclaim.

Two years ago, I had to buy a house with the help of my boyfriend (live-in). I cashed out my SAR-SEP and half of my 401K for the downpayment. His mother gifted him - the mortgage co. wouldn't let her gift to me - $3,000. Not all of this went for the downpayment. He assured me,but not in writing, that he would sign a quitclaim deed a couple of months after the purchase and has since refused. I'd like to refinance with my name only but can't since he won't even consider taking his name off. If I'm paying for the house, then it should be mine! Is there any legal recourse? Is there anything besides a quitclaim deed I can use?

Asked on 8/19/02, 11:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: He backed out of signing a quitclaim.

Contact a lawyer immediately. Perhaps there is damage that can be controlled.

I won't go into detail about what you "should have" done, but for future reference remember that a written agreement is its own best evidence.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/02, 12:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana