Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Name change

I would like to resume my former married name so that my minor son and I have the same name again. I can find legal forms and information for just about every state except LA. I know I can legally do this but it seems impossible to find any information on how to obtain and file the legal forms for LA. Is Louisiana law that different that I must hire an attorney or is there a way to file this myself? Thanks!

Asked on 8/22/02, 2:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: Name change

In Louisiana you do not lose your maiden name, so to resume that name, you need do nothing except start using it. In cases of driver's license and SS numbers, you will have to send them a copy of the divorce decree. If the name is something other than your maiden name, then you will need a court order giving you that name.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/02, 2:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana