Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

I am getting married to a man who would like to adopt my 1 year old son. The father has not been in his life at all, and his name is not on the birth certificate. What will happen when my fiancee goes to adopt my son? will my son's father have any legal rights?

Asked on 2/08/10, 8:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

If the biological father has not attempted to contact your son your current husband can adopt, assuming you did not prevent the contact. The biological father's rights will be terminated and your husband will become his legal father. His parents may have limited visitation rights but the biological father will not have any legal rights.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 8:59 am
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

I agree with Mr. Louque except with respect to the grandparents.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 4:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana