Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

My mother gave me her permission to sign her signature for a parent plus loan. She's angry because of personal reasons and tried to get the excess money refunded to her. However, the money had already been refunded to me per her request when I initially filled out the loan info. Now since she can't the get money she is trying to file charges on me for forging her signature. I have the emails between her any my financial directors where she requested the excess money be sent to me. Can she file charges on me?

Asked on 8/18/16, 11:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

She can always file charges. Whether those charges are successful is another story. Forgery is when you sign someone else's name without authorization. The money and where it went is a non-issue. If you got the loan and signed your mother's name without her permission, you are guilty of forgery. If you got the loan and signed your mother's name but had her permission, then you did not commit forgery. It's as simple as that.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/16, 12:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana